By Sonia A. Randall
The Bible is full of references to animals, birds, and even insects. Many quotations about them have become so well known that people often refer to them without even being aware that they are from the Bible.
See how many of the following you can identify and fill in the blanks from the words below. If you can’t figure out the answer to a question, get your Bible out and look up the verse in parentheses.
Word choices: dogs, sheep, deer, apes, camel, goats, bears, foxes, doves, locusts, pigs, boars, wolves, ant, baboons, horses, eagles, lion
- Jesus said, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious __________.” (Matt. 7:15)
- “Go to the _________, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise.” (Prov. 6:6)
- Jesus talked about God separating the nations as a shepherd separates the sheep from the __________. (Matt. 25:32)
- Solomon imported many __________ from Egypt for use with chariots. (1 Kings 10:28)
- Jesus said, “__________ have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.” (Matt. 8:20)
- “But those who hope in the Lord . . . will soar on wings like __________.” (Is. 40:31).
- “As the _______ pants for streams of water, so pants my soul for You, O God.” (Ps. 42:1)
- Jesus said, “Do not throw your pearls to _______.” (Matt. 7:6)
- King Solomon’s ships brought back _______ and _________ in addition to silver, gold, and ivory. (1 Kings 10:22)
- Samson found bees and honey in the carcass of a __________. (Judges 14:8)
- Jesus said, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the ________.” (Matt. 15:26)
- “The good shepherd lays down his life for the __________.” (John 10:11)
- ___________ were forest animals used in the Old Testament as a symbol of destruction. (Ps. 80:13)
- “The flowers appear on the earth . . . the cooing of __________ is heard in our land.” (Song of Songs 2:12)
- “It is easier for a __________ to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” (Matt. 19:24)
- Mother __________ are especially ferocious when robbed of their young. (Hosea 13:8)
- John the Baptist’s food was __________ and and wild honey. (Matt. 3:4)
© 2005 Sonia A. Randall
1. wolves 2. ant 3. goats 4. horses 5. Foxes 6. eagles 7. deer 8. swine 9. apes and baboons 10. lion 11. dogs 12. sheep 13. Boars 14. doves 15. camel 16. bears 17. locusts